English at BBG Academy will teach students to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their opinions and emotions to others. Through listening to others and reading in particular, students have an opportunity to explore current issues whilst developing culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually.
Students will graduate from BBG as confident and effective communicators ready for Post 16 options and the workplace. At BBG Academy, we pride ourselves in promoting high standards of language and literacy by equipping our students with a strong understanding of both the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
Following the National Curriculum, we ensure that all students:
- read regularly and fluently, with good understanding develop the habit of reading often, for both pleasure and information – offering a wide range of texts that both engage and interest our students
- obtain a wide vocabulary with a clear understanding of grammar and knowledge
- appreciate Britain’s rich and varied literary heritage – exploring texts from the 19th to 21st Century
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a wide range of purposes, audiences and formats
- use discussion in order to learn; encouraging students to explain their understanding and ideas clearly whilst considering the opinions of others
- are confident in terms of both speaking and listening, with the opportunity to make formal presentations, demonstrate ideas and understanding to others and participate in debate.
Please click below to view full Implementation