Relationships and Sex Education
Relationship and Sex Education (RSE)
RSE is about the emotional, social and cultural development of students, and involves learning about relationships, sexual health, sexuality, healthy lifestyles, diversity and personal identity. RSE involves a combination of sharing information, and exploring issues and values. RSE is not about the promotion of sexual activity.
The aims of teaching RSE in our Academies is to:
- provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place;
- prepare students for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene;
- help students develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy;
- create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships, and
- teach students the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies.